Thursday, May 17, 2012

I Never Had The “American” Dream



               (Real quick before I get started: You ever noticed that usually immigrants are the ones who have the American Dream. Interesting….) So I’m sitting here on my couch trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. I’m asking myself all these deep questions that will hopefully lead me in the right direction. Questions like: What are my dreams? What legacy do I want to leave? Where do I want to be 15 years from now? Who do I want to be with 15 years from now? What am I going to make for lunch? Is there any way to eat without getting off the couch? I wish my refrigerator had legs……
               Aside from those last few, you get what I mean though right? Dreams motivate us to work hard. They inspire us to persevere when times get tough. I thought about this concept of the American Dream and I realized that the American Dream, although maybe flavored differently depending on the person, basically consist of three things: Security, Happiness, and Freedom. Happiness so that we enjoy life, freedom to do what we want to make us happy, and security so we don’t fall from this place of success in our lifetime. When you strip away all the glam and sparkles, that’s basically what we all want. And that’s probably why I never had the American Dream.
               The package it came in was too flashy for me. The life of the celebrities and superstars never appealed to me. Now, don’t get me wrong, I like money and pretty women, and fast cars as much as the next guy, but I always felt that there had to be something more to life than just that. Plus I think we see so many people chase the “American Dream” and end up not being satisfied with it that we are reluctant to do the same.
               With that being said, having the wrong dream is better than having no dream. Deep down no matter how selfish a person is, no one wants to believe that world begins and ends with them. Striving to obtain something greater than ourselves is what makes up better individuals. We may act like it sometimes, but no one really wants to be the center of the universe. So dreams, even if they are self-seeking sometimes, are healthy for personal development. Like the saying goes, “If you aim at nothing, you’ll hit nothing every time.”
               The quarter-life crisis is a perfect time to reevaluate or evaluate what you want in life. Maybe it’s not as flashy as the American Dream but I’m pretty sure it will revolve around those three key foundations: Freedom, Happiness, and Security. We all want to be successful. No wakes up and says, “Today I’m going to be mediocre” Or you never hear a child say to his parents, “When I grow up, I want to be average!”. We need dreams maybe it’s time for me to go to sleep, so I can have some dreams of my own. I know it’s at least time for me to get off this couch and eat because no matter how many times I look at it, my refrigerator will not grow legs and come to me. Maybe in my dreams it will though. Yes! In my “American” dream my refrigerator has legs. I’m already inspired to chase my dreams! 

No comments:

Post a Comment