Friday, May 18, 2012

A Letter to my Grade School Teacher


A Letter to my Grade School Teacher

Dear Grade School Teacher,

Hi! It’s been a while since we last talked. What, something like 13 years? Well I just wanted to let you know that you’ve had an everlasting impact on my life. It wasn’t what you me taught in your class because I don’t remember an ounce of what you taught me. It wasn’t any of the stupid movies you made us watch or how you let me go back for a second cup of popcorn during the movie. It was a question you asked me that forever changed my life as I know it:

“What do you want to be when you grow up?”

               You are a sick and evil person. What kind of person asks such a monumental question to a 10 year old? How in the world am I supposed to know at 10 years old what I want to do with the next 50 years of my life? Like a good little boy I gave you the typical answers. “A doctor” or “a lawyer” or “The First Black President” I would tell you. Did you really think I knew what I was talking about back then?

Why would you put that kind of pressure on a 10 year old? The biggest decision I should have to make at 10 is Frosted Flakes or Fruit Loops, not what socioeconomic bracket I want to be for the rest of my life. What did I do to deserve to have that kind of pressure put on me? And why did you ask me in front of all the kids who apparently had a career development seminar that I wasn't invite to? They all knew the answer to the question before if came out your mouth. Thanks for putting me on blast like that.

Well 13 years later and you know what? I still don’t know the answer to your stupid question. And by this time, I've wasted 5 years, 99 college credits, and about $17,000 in loans trying to figure it out and all I got is this blog. But don’t worry I've already got 21 page views so I’m sure I will make a ton of money off of this! -_- (you see that? ß yeah that right there à -_- that’s my Asian sarcastic face. It means I'm really really angry at you after all these years and it’s hard for me to see so I have to quint)

But maybe it wasn't your fault. Maybe they made you ask us that question as part of the curriculum. Just like they made you make us watch those stupid School House Rock videos. Btw I still don’t know what a conjunction is but thanks for leaving that obnoxious chorus in my head. I’ll be sure to share it with my kids. That is, if I ever get married and have any children. No one wants to marry an underemployed blogger going through a quarter life crisis.

Basically what I’m trying to say is that after 13 years, I still don’t know what I want to do with my life. And the fact that it has taken me 13 years to end up where I started, makes me feel like an even bigger failure. So thanks a lot! When I do figure out what I want to do, I’ll be sure to let you know write you another letter/blog entitled: “I Figured It Out: No thanks To You!!”

Love always your former favorite student now disgruntled adult,
Gabe – Blogger and Professional Human Being    

No comments:

Post a Comment