Thursday, May 17, 2012

What is a Quarter Life Crisis?



               Where the heck did this come from? A few years ago I was 18 ready to take on the world. No scratch that, I was ready to take over the world! I had dreams, goals, plans, aspirations, hopes, and now next month I’ll be 23 and I’m stuck in this “Huh?” phase. Now I don’t want you to feel sorry for me at all, but it just hit me the other day that I may be having what they call a “quarter life crisis”.

They say a quarter life crisis doesn’t happen until your late twenties (25-35 years old), but that’s complete garbage. If I’m still in this “Huh?” phase by 27 I’m taking extreme measures and doing something drastic. So drastic I can’t even tell you what it is because I haven’t thought of it yet. But if in 4 years from now you here about 27 year old African American male doing something drastic in the news (like that doesn’t happen every day -_-) just know it’s me “overcoming” my quarter life crisis.

When I first heard about a quarter life crisis in some class in college that I don’t remember what grade I got in, I have to admit, I was a little skeptical. I thought it was sounded stupid. How anxious about your future do you have to be to have a quarter life crisis? And then sure enough a few months later, here I am in the midst of my quarter life crisis.

So what is a quarter life crisis you ask? It’s the weird phase in between adolescent and adulthood that no one tells you about in high school. Where you are still trying to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. You remember in grade school when the teacher asked you what you wanted to be when you grow up but you didn't know the answer? Well a quarter life crisis where your grade school teacher asks you what are you doing now that you’re grown and you still don’t know the answer.

Scientifically Erik Erikson said that is the conflict of young adulthood associated with Intimacy v. Isolation. After taking high school and couple semesters of community college to establish your identity, you now want to develop deep relationships. But what happens when you still haven’t established your identity and you’re going on 23 or 24 or 27? This is why I believe the quarter life crisis much earlier than the guys with PHD’s do. But then again I’m still trying to figure this thing out. That’s basically what a quarter life crisis is. You’re still trying to figure out this thing called life. So this is my journey through the quarter life crisis all documented, some more retrospectively than others, but hopefully it will give you hope as you wander through your quarter life crisis. Or maybe it will just be entertaining for the both of us. J

No comments:

Post a Comment